CELEBRATE GOOD TIMES, COME ON! Crank up the vitamin C volume and vivid colors—come celebrate citrus with us this January! We consider ourselves so lucky to be able to flood our stores with the beauty of all the colorful citrus we bring in this time of year. We have some of the freshest flavors from jumbo navels to Texas red grapefruit. We love how all the varieties of citrus are bursting with colors and will bring wonderful flavor as well as provide many health benefits during these cold winter months. Here are eight ways to bite into our Citrus Celebration (and don’t hesitate to enjoy some of the many citrus samples and recipes we’ll be featuring).
1. NAVEL ORANGES. These are the sweetest you can find, providing ample amounts of vitamin C for an added bonus!
2. CARA CARA PINK NAVELS. Among some of the prettiest citrus, these have a pink flesh and extremely sweet taste.
3. BLOOD ORANGES With an unmistakable deep red flesh and dangerously sweet taste, you won’t be able to resist! Both this variety and the Cara Cara are great low-acid options with the same healthful benefits as a Navel orange. To really unleash the flavor of a blood orange, try the Sicilian Citrus Salad recipe.
4. DLM FRESHLY SQUEEZED ORANGE JUICE. It’s made from the juiciest Valencia oranges and is made fresh in our Produce departments. We love it because it is extremely smooth to taste and is ultra fresh. We will also treat you with Cara Cara and Blood Orange Juice throughout this celebration, which is a true treat.
5. SWEET SCARLETTS TEXAS RED GRAPEFRUIT. These are the most colorful of all ruby grapefruits. These luscious grapefruits are grown in Texas where the hot sunny days and cool nights help these Texas reds become as sweet as can be.
6. PUMELO. This is a very large citrus that’s similar to grapefruit. It’s a Vietnamese staple and used in many dishes. Health benefits include boosting immunity (thanks to that vitamin C), improving digestion, and lowering blood pressure.
7. SPANISH CLEMENTINES. These sweet and easy-to-peel treats are a wonderful option for a great breakfast or snack option.
8. SUMO CITRUS. Coming later this month! First developed in Japan, these are now grown on family farms in California’s San Joaquin Valley. Loaded with vitamin C, these will sure to be the citrus star! It sets itself ahead of the pack in popularity due to its easy peel and low acid levels. Because it’s low in acidity, it’s a great option for those with a sensitive stomach.