When I was I was in my early days at DLM (yes, I’ve been here for 38 years), Dorothy Lane Market would buy a truckload of peaches every year from Georgia and the peach party was born from the excitement brought by this refreshing taste of summer. I recall DLM’s late Ace Mantia, a produce icon during the early days, grabbing the fruit and saying “ain’t that a peach!” They were so delicious that our customers looked forward to the Peach Party in July every year! The good news is that this is a tradition we’re holding close. Over the years, we’ve carefully learned more about this fruit. What we’ve learned is that the secret to getting the best peach is to go with one that is tree-ripened, which yields a much higher Brix level (aka, a sweeter peach). The secret to achieve that starts with the grower, as the farmer has to take more of a risk by leaving the peach alone for a few more days, risking weather damage or the chance that the peach falls to the ground and bruises. That quest to give you the best peach possible during our Peach Party keeps leading us back to the Prima® Tree Ripened Peaches. They are so good that I just can’t help but take a big, juicy bite and say “ain’t that a peach!”
7 PEACH-Y Things to Know
- The longer a peach can ripen on the tree, the higher the Brix. All Peach Party Prima® Peaches have a Brix level of 11 or greater!
- Once a peach is harvested, it is also graded. A very small percentage of peaches will make the cut to be sent to our Peach Party.
- Once the tree-ripened peaches arrive to DLM, our Produce managers carefully inspect the fruit and measure the Brix. Check the Brix sign to see what it is today!
- Look for “Ready Today” and “Ready Tomorrow” signs on our Peach Party display so you can plan your peach feast accordingly.
- You can tell when a peach is perfectly ripe by using your full hand and not just fingertips. The ripe peach will yield to gentle pressure.
- Peaches are perfect as-is. But they’re also great cooked (try poaching, baking, and even grilling). When cooked, the sugar caramelizes resulting in an even sweeter peach!
- Look for recipes throughout DLM during our Peach Party featuring this sweet summer fruit!