Each July, our mission is to bring the ultimate peach experience to DLM where the peach will be king. We scour the U.S. for a tree-ripened peach with the highest brix to be found. This year our search took us back to California, where the Gerawan family grows Prima® Peaches. We love its sweet flavor so much, it inspires items throughout DLM, such as the BLPeach, a sweet take on the traditional BLT, and mouth-watering Peach Salsa.
The longer a peach remains on the tree, the higher the sugar content and the better the flavor. The peaches are hand selected for DLM and placed into a small, round-bottomed bucket that protects the fruit from bruising. Our peaches are hand packed on the same day they’re harvested and handled with the utmost care to protect these marvelous fruits. DLM Prima® Peaches will have a brix level of 11 or above ensuring that the peaches bring that sweet summertime flavor.
Each morning our produce managers will use a refractometer, a device used to measure the brix level of the peach. The daily brix will be written on a sign to let you know how sweet our Prima® Peaches are tasting that day! As July continues, these peaches will just keep getting sweeter and sweeter as they reach their peak. Come to the “party” and be prepared to enjoy one of the sweetest, juiciest peaches around.
7 Insider Peach Party Tips
- The longer a peach can rip en on the tree, the higher the Brix. All Peach Party Prima® Peaches have a Brix level of 11 or greater!
- Once a peach is harvested, it is also graded. A very small percentage of peaches will make the cut to be sent to our Peach Party.
- Once the tree-ripened peaches arrive to DLM, our Produce managers carefully inspect the fruit and measure the Brix. Check the Brix sign to see what it is today!
- Look for “Ready Today” and “Ready Tomorrow” signs on our Peach Party display so you can plan your peach feast accordingly.
- You can tell when a peach is perfectly ripe by using your full hand and not just fingertips. The ripe peach will yield to gentle pressure.
- Peaches are perfect as-is. But they’re also great cooked (try poaching, baking, and even grilling). When cooked, the sugar caramelizes resulting in an even sweeter peach!
- Look for recipes throughout DLM during our Peach Party featuring this sweet summer fruit!