Sometimes life is like a bowl of cherries, and we hope this summer will be sweet and simple for everyone. But with a little thought, why not go beyond the bowl and branch out a bit? With all of these big, ripe sweet cherries we have right now from California, it’s hard not to think of all the fun ways to eat them! Here’s one of my favorites:
Fresh Cherries and Yogurt
Smear a little of your favorite vanilla yogurt across a plate or platter, scatter some washed and pitted cherries on top, and garnish with a little chocolate crumb. For the “crumb” I like to use crumbled Tate’s Double Chocolate Chip Cookies or the classic thin chocolate wafers that aren’t too sweet.
Dessert isn’t the only way I like to eat my cherries. Here are some suggestions for utilizing these beautiful berries!
- Added to a green salad for a pop of sweetness.
- Fresh component of a cheese or charcuterie plate. Cherries pair wonderfully with a nice and mild creamy blue or fresh goat cheese.
- In a sauce or reduction accompanying poultry.
- Plopped on top of oatmeal with a dollop of yogurt and a sprinkle of crunchy granola.
- On top of a toasted piece of DLM Classic 10 Grain Bread smeared with creamy ricotta and finished with a drizzle of local honey.
Looking for other ways to enjoy the bounty of fresh fruit this season brings? Check out some of my go-to recipes below!