We will be joining the community this Labor Day as we participate in the 60th annual Holiday at Home celebration! Join us as we twirl our classic black and white umbrellas down Far Hills Ave. during the Holiday at Home parade, starting at 9:55 a.m. Monday, Sept. 2.
We’ve been working hard on our routine and we can’t wait to share it with the community! Here are some fun facts about the DLM Umbrella Brigade to know:
1. There’s a lot of hard work that goes into our routine! Participating associates attend a series of practices, which are always a lot of fun.
2. We take such pride in joining the fun that we even bring in a choreographer to help us craft a new routine each year. We’ve worked with Barbara Rethlake, a local choreographer, for many years.
3. It’s probably hard to tell how many DLM associates make up the DLM Umbrella Brigade as we dance by, but this year there will be about 85 members!
4. You may also notice a very furry participant. Oliver, our furry mascot, always leads the parade.
5. What happens after the parade? Associates enjoy a boxed lunch provided by DLM Oakwood’s Deli.
6. Rain or shine the show goes on, but let’s hope for shine. We usually have ponchos on hand just in case.
7. Speaking of the show going on, one year we forgot to do a sound check before starting. How did it turn out? Let’s just say we kept marching, even without our music.
8. Each year we feature a new song, which we choose to echo the theme of the parade. “Hit it Out of the Park” is the theme of the parade this year. Past years, we’ve marched to the Boot Scootin’ Boogie and the Ghost Busters theme song to name a few.
9. The DLM Umbrella Brigade has been at it for more than 20 years! Interestingly, the first year we started out with shopping carts and there were only seven of us. It’s been so cool to see how our presence has grown over the years!
10. You’ll also want to keep your eye out for Norman Mayne. He participates every year, sometimes in a golf cart and sometimes marching. We’ll have to wait to see what he does this year.
This event is definitely a source of pride for all of DLM. We hope to see you there!