DLM Fresh Free-Range Turkey
We've been working with our friends at Bowman & Landes in New Carlisle to grow a turkey to our high standards. The first challenge was the feed mixture. Since you cannot find a commercial feed mix that does not contain animal by-products, we had to have a way to make our own feed. Steve Landes (part farmer, part turkey grower, part genius) installed a new computerized feed mill at the farm; so now they could take the corn and soybeans grown there on the farm and mill them into their own feed formulation, using canola oil as the protein. After three years of trial and error, we’ve got it down! Now Bowman & Landes raises special flocks of turkeys to DLM’s specifications. We guarantee this turkey to be:
- Raised without antibiotics
- Raised without hormones or growth stimulants
- Vegetarian-fed – with no animal by-products in the feed
- Locally grown and raised on a small family farm
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Remove turkey from plastic bag.
- Remove giblets and neck from body and neck cavity.
- Rinse turkey and pat dry.
- Rub turkey liberally inside and out with salt and favorite spices.
- Brush with butter or olive oil if desired.
- Unstuffed turkeys tend to be more moist, so the preferred method is to cook the dressing in a separate pan.
Chef Carrie's Tips
- Be sure to buy a good quality thermometer—it takes away the guesswork.
- The temperature you need is 165°F in the thickest part of the thigh.
- Don’t stuff the turkey—it complicates things.
- Basting is a waste of time and oven temperature.
- Try brining —it adds plenty of moisture and flavor.
- Don’t truss, it only adds time—try tucking the wings.
- Season the turkey liberally inside and out with salt and pepper—don’t skimp.
- Place turkey in a roasting pan. Breast side up for best table presentation.Breast side down for juiciest white meat.
- Roast until turkey’s internal temperature is 165°F (making sure that thermometer is not touching a bone).
- Remove from oven, loosely tent with foil, and let rest for at least 20 minutes before carving.
- If using a cooking bag, please follow the cooking bag instructions, and cook until an internal temperature of 165°F is reached.