Clean Up with Clean ProductsBy: Joy Kemp | Healthy Living Director
On: June 11, 2012
Our Healthy Living department is on a mission to carry the “cleanest” products possible. So when it comes to health and beauty care in our department, we avoid products that contain any of the so-called “Dirty Dozen” chemicals.
One of our favorite lines is Keys skin care, which contain none of these or any other man-made chemicals. That’s why it’s my skin care of choice. Since they are 100% chemical free, they are safe for the whole family: babies, children, teens, adults, and pets. Now that summer is here, stock up on RediCare (all-purpose healing spray, insect repellent, and good on poison ivy), MetaCare (all-purpose healing lotion and excellent for any skin disorder including eczema), and Solar Rx (SPF 30+ moisturizing sunblock with broad spectrum UVA-UVB protection). And while you’re shopping for them, pick up a complementary card with the “Dirty Dozen” list. Keys products are 20% off with Club DLM card.
The “Dirty Dozen” Chemicals
1. Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS) – Found in shampoos, conditioners, whiteners, laundry detergents, and carpet cleaner. Alters skin structure allowing other chemicals to penetrate deep into the skin.
2. Parabens – Found in shampoos, conditioners, whiteners, lotions, insect repellents, and most skin care products. May cause skin irritation, rash, dermatitis, or allergic skin reactions.
3. Propylene Glycol – Found in shampoos, conditioners, whiteners, lotions, insect repellents, and most liquid skin/hair care products. Alters skin structure and it is a skin irritant.
4. Phthalate – Found in fragrance, hair spray, hair gel, and lotions. Can damage the liver, kidneys, and lungs.
5. Petrolatum – Found in creams, lotions, and ointments. May cause allergic reactions.
6. Cocamide DEA/Lauramide DEA – Found in shampoos, body wash, cleansers, bath oils, liquid soap, bar soap, and moisturizers. May form carcinogenic compounds such as nitrosamines.
7. Diazolidinyl Urea – Found in fragrances, shampoos, conditioners, pain relief rubs, and ointments. Has impurities linked to cancer.
8. Butyl Acetate – Found in nail polish and nail treatments. Repeated exposure causes skin dryness and cracking.
9. Butylated Hydroxytoluene – Found in makeup, fragrances, shampoos, conditioners, moisturizers, and lotions. Eye and skin irritant.
10. Ethyl Acetate – Found in perfume, nail polish products, and whiteners. Eye and skin irritant.
11. Toluene – Found in nail polish and hair dyes. Potential cause of cancer and liver damage, irritating to the skin and respiratory tract.
12. Triethanolamine – Found in shampoos, lotions, creams, and soaps. May also form carcinogenic compounds called nitrosamines on the skin or in the body after absorption.