Prep & Pro Lobster Tips
On: May 01, 2017
The most common question we receive is “How do I cook lobster?” Below, find three delicious ways to cook live lobsters (or, ask us to cook it for free at Lobstermania)!
1. In a large pot, bring about 2 inches of salted water to a rolling boil over high heat (add 3 Tbsp of salt per quart of water).
2. Drop in the live lobsters, one at a time. Leaving rubber bands on is optional. Cover and return to a boil as quickly as possible.
3. When the pot starts steaming, continue to cook for approximately 12 to 15 minutes.
1. Fill a large pot approximately three-quarters full of water. Use about 2½ quarts of water for each lobster.
2. Bring the water to a boil. Add 3 Tbsp of salt per quart. Put in the live lobsters one at a time, cover, and bring the water to a boil again.
3. Continue to cook for about 12-15 minutes.
1. Melt butter in a skillet, skimming off solids. Stir in garlic, fresh tarragon, parsley, and chives. Season with Kosher salt.
2. Position knife between eyes on lobster and draw sharply through to instantly kill. Place lobster belly-up on cutting board and cut each in half.
3. Drizzle halves with Vera Jane’s Extra-Virgin Olive Oil and season with Kosher salt and pepper. Grill shell sides down and baste with garlic herb butter for about 7-8 minutes. Serve with lemon and remaining butter.
Storing Live Lobster
Before cooking, keep moist and cool, not frozen. Lobsters will stay alive for hours in a refrigerator. Do not store in fresh water but try covering with damp newspaper.